Dental emergencies are no fun. They usually happen when you least expect it and can be quite costly. The good news is that there are ways to prevent them! Here are 5 simple tips to help keep your teeth healthy and avoid a dental emergency.
- Brush and floss regularly. This one is a no-brainer. Brushing and flossing regularly help remove plaque and bacteria from your teeth and gums, which can lead to tooth decay and gum disease. Brush at least twice a day and floss once a day to keep your mouth healthy.
- Visit your dentist regularly. Getting regular dental checkups and cleanings ensures that any problems with your teeth are found early and treated before they become serious. You should visit your dentist at least twice a year, or more if you have any existing dental problems.
- Wear a mouth guard when playing sports. Mouth guards help protect your teeth from being damaged during physical activity. If you play any sports where there is a risk of getting hit in the face, be sure to wear a mouth guard to protect your pearly whites.
- Avoid chewing on hard objects. Chewing on hard objects like ice, popcorn kernels, or hard candy can damage your tooth enamel and lead to chips or cracks in your teeth. Stick to softer foods and snacks to avoid hurting your teeth.
- Don’t use your teeth as tools. Your teeth are not meant to be used as tools! If you need to open something, find a pair of scissors or pliers instead of using your teeth. Biting your nails is also a bad idea for the same reason—it can damage your tooth enamel and make you more likely to develop cavities or other dental problems down the road.
By following these simple tips, you can help prevent dental emergencies before they happen! Be sure to brush and floss regularly, visit your dentist often, wear a mouth guard when playing sports, avoid chewing on hard objects, and don’t use your teeth as tools. Do all of these things, and you’ll have a much lower risk of experiencing a dental emergency in the future!
But if a dental emergency ever arises and you’re in the Philadelphia area, don’t panic. Mayfair Family Dentistry has got you covered. We have plenty of experience helping individuals and families when life throws the unexpected. Contact us to learn more about our state-of-the-art dental practice.